I am going to be completely honest; I had never heard of Montessori Style Learning before I was given a copy of Montessori at Home by John Bowman. When I started reading over this info and resource packed ebook, I realized Montessori style learning and my professional degree of Occupational Therapy Assistant go hand in hand. So many of the activities I use in OT that are used in Montessori are the same! I am full heartedly embracing Montessori style for my future homeschool career with my daughter!
** This post contains Affiliate Links – please see my disclosure policy for details **
What is Montessori Style Learning?
Montessori At Home by John Bowman is a great resource for learning what Montessori is all about. Montessori style learning can be broken down into these main points, based on the observations of Dr. Maria Montessori. All quotes are of Dr. Maria Montessori unless otherwise noted.
- The Inner Teacher – “We discovered that education is not something which the teacher does, but that it is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being”
- Movement – “Watching a child makes it obvious that the development of his mind comes through his movements.”
- Independence – “Little children from the moment they are weaned are making their way towards independence.”
- Absorbant Mind – “Whereas an adult admires their environment a child completely absorbs it. This absorption transforms the child and forms part of his or her soul.”
- Concrete Experience – “The hands are the instruments of man’s intelligence. The human hand allows the mind to reveal itself.”
- Play as Work – “The child can develop fully by means of experiences in his environment. Such experiences is not just play; it is the work he must do in order to grow up.”
- Concentration & Normalization – “The first essential for the child’s development is concentration.”
- Sensitive Periods – “A sensitive period is a time when a child becomes especially interested in learning about experiencing a specific aspect of his environment.”
- Sensory Experience – “There is nothing in the intellect that was not first in the senses.”
Montessori style learning bases its activities and environment on these observations. The environment and learning activities are specifically designed or prepared to engage each of these aspects through the following:
- Child sized furniture
- Beauty and Order
- Free choice with responsibility
- All kinds of hands on materials
- Mixed ages (if in a preschool environment)
- A different role of the teacher (the teacher does not make the plan, but instead follows the child’s lead within guidelines and interests)
The results are seen in promoting independence, socialization, strengthening the parent-child bond, a positive self image, muscle control and coordination, and learning & thinking. These are all huge benefits that I definitely want my daughter to develop!
What do Occupational Therapy & Montessori Have in Common?
In short, Occupational Therapy (OT) helps people to achieve independence in activities of daily living (ADLs). Specifically with children in the school setting, this would look like “play”, dressing skills, feeding, school activity independence, social independence, adaptations for school work or in the environment, and the sensory needs being met during the school day. Activities are chosen based on the child’s interests and use a variety of modes through movement, play, sensory, environment, adaptations etc. Sounds a lot like Montessori doesn’t it? Of course most people think of OT as working with those who are mentally and physically challenged, however many OT activities can be greatly beneficial to ANY child. In early intervention and preschool age, OT focuses greatly on developmental milestones, primitive reflexes, and age appropriate skills. Exposing children to a variety of sensory and hands on activities is what OT is all about! This is what drew me to Montessori style learning!
All About Montessori At Home by John Bowman
If you are wondering if Montessori style learning is right for you, I highly recommend the ebook Montessori at Home by John Bowman. This book is packed full of information and resources that will help you to find out those answers! The first three chapters in the book talk about the Montessori approach, Dr. Maria Montessori’s observations in depth, and also the science and neurology behind it! But don’t worry, the science of it is written in such a way that any parent regardless of theirknowledge of neurology or child development can understand!
The rest of the book gives you resources and activities for setting up Montessori style learning in your home through Sensorial, Art & Music, Digital Life, Science, Mathematics, and Reading & Writing. There are also two versions of this book! If you wish you purchase the bundle form, you will also receive multiple printables to help you be on your way to setting up a Montessori home.
This book is specifically designed for ages 2-6 or preschool age.
How to Purchase Montessori At Home
As I said earlier, there are two forms of this ebook. Here are the details on both. To learn more about the book in general you can visit Montessori At Home Book.
DISCOUNT CODE ALERT!!
Yes, that is right! GRB is giving away not 1, but 3 copies of Montessori at Home ebook & printables bundle! That is a $24.95 value per copy! I am so thankful to John Bowman for offering this to all of you, this is going to be a GREAT giveaway! Here are some details on the giveaway.
- The giveaway of Montessori at Home ebook with printables Bundle will last for 2 weeks, starting 8/26/2013 ending 9/9/2013 at 11:59pm.
- This giveaway is hosted through the below rafflecopter form. Please follow all directions in the rafflecopter form in order to enter.
- This giveaway is open WORLDWIDE to anyone 18 years or older.
- At the end of this giveaway, 3 winners will be chosen at random using random.org. Each winner will be notified by e-mail and their names posted in the rafflecopter form below.
- Each winner will have 48 hours to respond and claim their winnings and also provide an e-mail address to which a digital download of Montessori At Home will be sent to.
- I am not responsible for the delivery of this giveaway, Montessori At Home and John Bowman are the responsible party and will be notified of all 3 winners names and e-mail addresses upon GRB receiving them.
I know you will love this ebook and if you have been on the fence about Montessori, this book will definitely help to give you that deciding nudge! I can’t wait to start my Montessori journey.
Speaking of that, be looking for an exciting new series in the coming months on GRB called “Organizing a Montessori Home.” I am really excited to start getting my home and E’s environment set up in the Montessori style of learning and I am inviting you all to follow along on our journey! Be on the lookout for details on that later!
Good luck to everyone on the giveaway! And a special thanks to John Bowman and Montessori At Home for this great opportunity!
Disclaimer: I was given a free digital copy of Montessori At Home ebook and also Montessori at Home ebook and printables Bundle for the purpose of this review and giveaway. A positive review was not mandatory, all thoughts are my 100% honest opinions. I was not compensated in any way for writing this review or managing this giveaway. However, I am an affiliate of Montessori At Home, please see my disclosure policy for details.
This post is part of a blog hop series, Back to School with the Blogging Buddies. Click the link or the graphic below to see the other blogs and posts!